Heartworks is a charity event in which the proceeds are to go to the victims of the recent Visayas/Mindanao tragedies, and as such a bunch of artists turned up to provide sketches and auction off sketches and some original art. In other words, it was a good cause.
|That's the legendary Danny Acuna, boys.|
In other news, my photography skills suck.
The launch went off without a hitch, and we were treated to entertaining back-and-forth bickering between Gerry and Leinil.
Among other things they mentioned were the following:
- Gerry admitted to inking pages out of order, depending on the order in which Leinil finishes them and sends them to him. This unfortunately makes it so that Gerry only has a basic understanding of the story until he actually reads the final product.
- Leinil said Mark Millar is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and has absolutely no ego. He treats his co-creators really really well.
- Leinil will not be at Kapow this year, but when Mark Millar comes here in May for SUPERCROOKS, the entire team will be doing a signing.
- I asked them if they ever fight, considering how long they've been working together, and they said that they did at first regarding the creative process, but now they don't, but they tend to argue about philosophical differences. The exchange was funny. You had to be there.
- Someone asked if Millar's work could be considered parodies, and Leinil said they're more homages because parodies are supposed to be funny. I think "satire" would be more apt.
- Someone else asked if Leinil and Gerry would support BEFORE WATCHMEN, to which Gerry said no, out of respect for the fact that Alan Moore doesn't want it to happen. Leinil said he hadn't really thought about it. (Incidentally, Leinil was introduced to WATCHMEN by Gerry — he read his copy.)
- The belt that SUPERIOR has is specifically influenced by wrestling/boxing championship belts, as indicated by Millar himself. Mark is very thorough with character designs.
- Leinil said that he still has a hard time drawing women, but he does feel he's been improving.
The event ended with the reminder that Marvel's talent scout, CB Cebulski, will be here on Saturday at Bestsellers in Robinsons Galleria, as well as announcing that Mark Millar will be here at some point in May.